Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Blog post 2

This week we read and discussed the structure of organizations and decision making within those organizations. While reading these chapters, I was thinking a lot about how our volunteer and internship placements, especially int he beginning of our careers, influence our perspectives as social workers for the rest of our professional lives. Regardless of what we learn in textbooks, these placements will be the foundation for how we understand the not only the role of nonprofits and organizations within our community, but also the structure of the organizations themselves. How we are treated, rewarded, reprimanded, and viewed in our internships (and our perceptions of these experiences for full-time staff) will be the guide for our work in similar organizations in the future.

I recently started babysitting for a small family in south austin. Mom Brie runs the south austin tennis center and dad Paul works in the psych department at the travis county jail. He offered to let me come shadow him a couple of shifts a month when he does self-harm risk assessment on new inmates. I'M SO EXCITED! Not only will this be a new population for me, but it will be a really rough population - Paul has told me that about 60% of the time, the inmates he sees are drunk or angry and just saying what they think will get them out of jail. However, the other 40% are true psych cases, and rough ones at that. I really think shadowing Paul will be an eye-opening experience for me - I think it will toughen me up a little, it will look great on my resume, and it will inform my practice in different ways than safe, loving, warm safeplace can.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post, Meredith! I know you'll find the perfect intern placement. I really liked what you said about these early experiences having such a significant impact on the rest of our careers/lives. I can't wait for the intern portion. I think it's one of the best parts of this wonderful education we are receiving. Thanks again. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete