Friday, December 6, 2013

Blog Post 11

In foundations of social justices a few weeks ago we watched a very eye-opening documentary on immigrant detention and deportation, and the terrible facilities in which immigrants are living. this documentary brought up several things that I had never thought about before concerning asylum and immigration laws, and I appreciate the way that the documentary seemed to try to focus on facts rather than bias. I had never thought about the irony that to ask for asylum, you have to either be already in the country or at the border. I was struck by the statistic of people who were immigrating to the US to seek asylum rather than simple work or education. 


 When I was younger I was almost fluent in spanish, and I thought I had lost a lost of my conversational skills, but when listening to the immigrant families’ interview on the video, I could pretty easily understand them. I was excited about that, and now I’m thinking it might be a good idea to brush up on my spanish skills or go to a spanish meet-up group. If i plan on working in Texas much longer, my future agencies and clients would really benefit if I were bilingual, and I know that most agencies pay their bilingual employees more (or at least SafePlace does).

No comments:

Post a Comment