Friday, December 6, 2013

Blog Post 8

"Gandhi rejects the Adam Smith notion of human nature as motivated by self-interest and brute needs and returns us to our spiritual dimension with its impulses for nonviolence, justice and equality. He exposes the fallacy of the claim that everyone can be rich and successful provided they work hard. He points to the millions who work themselves to the bone and still remain hungry." - Nelson Mandela

I have been thinking about this concept a lot lately, but of course my thoughts are much less elegant and concise than Nelson Mandela's words. I grew up being told by my parents that the American dream is achievable by everyone – that you can do anything if you set your mind to it. My father impressed upon us that the more education you had, and he harder you worked, the more money you’d make. It seemed like such a clear path.

Now I see things everywhere that challenge this idea. I work with clients who work three minimum-wage jobs, who can’t get higher paying jobs because they don’t have the education, but who don’t have access to education because between their three jobs they don’t have the time or the money. I’m also considering what kind of masters work to apply to – I know to be able to go into counseling, I’ll have to get my masters no matter what. But what about a combination masters and Ph. D? I automatically assumed that with more education I’ll automatically be considered for a higher salary, but that is evidently not the case. Lots to think about…

1 comment:

  1. These are hard decisions to make, and unfortunately decisions only get harder as time goes on. Whatever you choose, I know you'll make it work for yourself! Believe in yourself and keep pushing for what you love!

    ReplyDelete